Monday 16 July 2007

London!!

On Saturday morning at the (excuse my language) buttcrack of dawn, I rolled out of bed. Glancing at the alarm clock, I saw it was 6:45am. Wishing I could sleep for another few days, I grudgingly rolled out of bed and tried to throw on some halfway decent clothes. I planned to have breakfast in the hall before, so that I would be fueled up for a very long, on-the go day.

I met Yassmeen and Sue on the top of the stairs to walk down to breakfast, where I feasted on scrambled eggs and wheat toast--the cook is starting to know that this is the dish of my choice, since today I walked in and he already started getting it ready. I also had some fresh fruit, and took some cereal and more fruit from breakfast for snacks/lunch in London. After b-fast, we headed to the coach bus, where we boarded on the bus for the 1 1/2 hour ride to London. By train, London is about 45 minutes from Cambridge. However, British roads are not like American roads, where you can travel 75-80 mphs and get to places quickly. The Bus could barely do 60 mph on a two-lane highway. Hence, why it took so excrutiating long to get from Cambridge to London.

Thankfully, we finally arrived and were dropped off right near Big Ben. Let me tell ya, Big Ben ain't so big. In fact, he should called, "The tower formerly known as big." In relation to the skyscrapers, the London Eye, and other tall buildings, Big Ben is measly. I actually learned though, that Big Ben isn't the name of the clock tower at all, but of the bell inside. After walking by Big Ben, we decided to head to Westminster Abbey, a massive church/abbey where former royalty, poets, writers, and presumbly rich people are buried. I saw the tomb of Elizabeth and Mary I, as well as Mary, Queen of Scots, and Henry the VII. Westminster is also the place where Princess Diana's funeral was held. Speaking of Princess Diana, all around the city I saw souvenior stands that carried huge postcards of Princess Diana, including one that was shaped like a cut out of her head. Isn't that a bit morbid? I couldn't think of anyone who I would send a postcard of the deceased Princess too. It seemed to be in poor taste.

After Westminster, we headed to Covent gardens, which is a large marketplace. We also stopped by the Royal Calvary on the way, where the British army trains (I had the urge to shout at them, Keep training! You lost the Revolutionary War! That's about all I have to hold over the British). It was rather uneventful, just poor cavalry people sitting on horses getting photographed by throngs of tourists. My favorite thing was probably the sign, which said, "Warning. Horses may kick or bite."

On the walk to Covent gardens, we passed Trafalgar square, as well as numerous Pizza Expresses and Prets, highly recommended by Beth G as being inexpensive and yummy.

Covent gardens was beautiful--consisting of a large open marketplace with numerous entertainers. There was a man on a ten foot high unicycle, another performer who was a charlie chaplin look alike, and one man who could balance himself on the top of a ladder and juggle knives. It reminded me somewhat of Fanueil Hall, but more performers, and to the extreme!! I had a wonderful time looking at all the items for purchase there too, including a hilarious t-shirt that said, "Hanging with my gnomies." I didn't buy anything because it was all a bit too knick knacky--I mean, who needs a wooden sculpture of a panda or a silk scarf? Not me!!!


After the gardens, we walked along the river and took in more of the sights and street performers. At around 4pm, with the memory of breakfast long gone, we decided to find someplace to eat. We found a place not too far from the London Eye called Archbishop's. It was actually reasonable priced...I got fish and chips and a salad for only about 7.50 pounds ($15). The fish was beer battered and it melted in my mouth--so good! But it took me awhile to call the french fries "chips," and I shooed away the waitress who kept asking me if I would like mayo with them.

By this time, it was around 5ish and we decided to make the trek to the Globe theatre, where we needed to be for an evening performance of Othello. After ending up in the middle of a Turkish festival and walking around for a bit, we finally found the Globe theatre and killed some more time before the performance. Being inside the Globe was amazing. I know it is a reconstruction, but I can't believe people in Shakespeare's time actually stood for hours and hours to watch a performance!! Luckily, our seats were in a higher section of the balcony, so I at least had a back to my seat. However, I rented a cushion for 1 pound since I knew my butt would not be able to take sitting on a slab of wood for 3 1/2 hours. That's right, 3 1/2 hours. Othello was an amazing production, but it was just a bit too long for me. I was exhausted from walking around the city all day, but I still tried to enjoy it to the best of my abilities. It was the classical, unabridged Shakespeare version, with beautiful, Rennassaince-looking costumes and scenery.

At the end of the show, I returned my cushion and we were ushered back on the bus by T-Carn (had to abbreviate his long name), our great director. We arrived back at Cambridge around 1am, making it about a 16 hour day in London.

I feel as if I only got a glimpse of the city, so I want to see and explore it even more--we have another trip two weeks from now into London, and I hope to see the British Museum (where the Rosetta stone is) and Buckingham Palace, perhaps to run into some royalty then!!

No comments: